Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Love Languages

Last evening concluded seven evenings of "The Marriage Course". This is a video series presented by Nicky and Sila Lee and put out by Alpha. Ray and I led the course and we had 7 couples who faithfully showed up most weeks. It is one of the best that we have seen. Even after being married for 43 years, we felt there were some new insights, and new ways of doing things that can be helpful to us.
Last evening was the last one and it was based on a book by Gary Chapman called The Five Love Languages. According to Chapman there are five ways of expressing love. These are: loving words, thoughtful presents, physical affection, quality time, and kind actions. For each of us one of these languages will communicate love more effectively than the others. The deal is to figure out how your spouse communicates love and how you communicate love. Usually they are different. We usually try to communicate love in the way that we would like to receive it. Fortunately for us, we were introduced to this book and this concept a few years ago, but when I first encountered it I was intrigued by it. Ray's top way of expressing love is through kind actions. He loves to do things for the people he loves. My top way of communicating love is quality time. I love to spend time with the ones I love. A close second for Ray is loving words, or affirming encouraging words, and a close second for me is gift-giving. Once we had that figured out we were much better at communicating our love to each other. As we mature these five love languages seem to meld together and we strive to communicate our love well in all of these areas. It is interesting to think about your children and try and figure out what their love language is or even have a discussion with them. Some are easier to figure out than others!
Have you read this book? If so what is your love language?

2 comments:

Miss McMillan said...

This is such an interesting concept, and I think it definitely helps us understand each other better. I think I am a combination of my parent's secondary love languages!

Anonymous said...

Have you figured out all of your kids yet?! Heather